How EDM Can Ease Your Records Keeping Compliance
The role of records management is to facilitate the creation and management of authentic, reliable and usable records, capable of supporting business functions and activities for as long as they are required. Retention schedules are set either by law, or by your organisational policies. Each policy or piece of legislation contains specific requirements, but largely they all cover:
- How to effectively maintain information so it is accessible and usable.
- Ensuring it is only kept for as long as required.
- Deploying adequate protection so information remains secure at all times.
- Facilitating the correct sharing of information.
The biggest piece of legislation that you must ensure compliance with is The Data Protection Act. It controls how personal information is used by organisations, businesses or the government and sets out data protection principles that companies must abide by. Additional legislation and guidance to be aware of includes:
- The Freedom of Information Act
- Copyright, Designs and Patents Act
- Environmental Information Regulations
- Information Commissioner’s Office (ICO) Records Management Policy
- ICO Section 46 Code of Practice – Records Management
- As well as industry specific guidelines, for example, retaining financial or medical records.
Effective records management will ensure that you have the right information at the right time to demonstrate your compliance, and make the right decisions. Good records management relies on a number of factors, including:
- Creating appropriate records.
- Capturing records in appropriate systems.
- Appropriate maintenance and upkeep of records.
- Regular reviews of information.
- Controlled destruction of information.
Who should attend?
This event is designed for senior information managers, including CEOs, CIOs, financial directors, HR managers and marketing managers.
What will they learn?
- Legislation you need to adhere to.
- The cost of non-compliance.
- Creating effective in-house records management policies.
- The secret to good records management.
- The importance
Discover what it can do for your business by registering your interest in this event.